I was driving around the other day, and I found this building advertising their hybridity, Mexican & Californian. After talking about hybridity, I can't stop seeing it around in my everyday life. I find it interesting that once you start learning about something, it is very easy to start observing it every day. Where have you all seen hybridity in your everyday life?
Throughout the history of film, the depiction of minority groups in media constantly fluctuates due to the majority's cultural and societal norms. A few examples that are depicted in The Celluloid Closet are: the “sissy,” a gay man who is made to be a joke; “Killer Lesbian,” who invokes harm and pain because she isn’t sexually free; and the “tragic lovers,” where one on them inevitably dies off because they are gay. In my life experiences, I have seen certain movies and television shows change their depiction of the LGBTQ community from types and tropes that were in The Celluloid Closet into ones of optimism and inclusivity. "Sissy" "Killer Lesbian" "Tragic Lover" Mitch Growing up, I watched many Disney Channel shows that were supposed to teach children big life lessons, but there were never any queer characters. Partially due to Disney's lack of queer characters, it didn't depict the queer community, it wasn’t until mu...
Comments
Post a Comment